In life, we often become comfortable with routine. We stay at jobs we hate longer than we should because they are secure, we stay in friendships/relationships we aren’t happy with because that person is our comfort zone, we stay stuck in our hometown because it’s all we know, and we become so consumed by every day life that we forget to have any fun. But what good is life if it just consists of routine, mediocre connections, endless work, and worries?
Weren’t we put on earth to LIVE?
I think 2016 is the year of transformation. I have noticed a pattern of many people going through huge transitional phases this year. Hell, I am one of them. This is something that reoccurs over and over in our lives. Its inevitable. I recently went through my own huge transition and because I have had quite a few within the past few years, I want to share with you all the things I have learned and done to reset, repair, and refine my life. I am sure it will be helpful for many of you either going through changes or wanting to make a change right now.
- Let go: This means no grudges. Let go of the past. Look at this point and time of your life as a brand new blank page full of great possibilities.
- Be a quitter: Sometimes being a quitter is a good thing when you are leaving a toxic job, relationship, or environment. It can be scary leaving your comfort zones but it’s so necessary in leveling up in your life. Complacency could imprison you to a life that will keep you small.
- Move: Live in a small town that makes you feel like a hamster on wheel to nowhere? Go. Take a leap of faith and try someplace new. Endless experiences await you if you embrace the risk.
- Create a bucket list: This is the fun part of resetting your life. Do all the things you have always wanted to do and check them off one by one. Add some fun to your schedule, you deserve it!
- Ditch your wardrobe: Do some Spring cleaning and get rid of all the clothing you do not wear anymore and get yourself some new threads. There is nothing better than having a fresh wardrobe to play dress up with!
- Cut your hair: They say when a woman cuts her hair, she is ready for change. It can be so liberating to shed some weight off those locks so go on, give yourself a new look!
- Redecorate your place: This is one of my favorite things to do when I want to shake things up a bit. It gets my creative juices flowing and makes me feel like my apartment is a totally different and more exciting place to live!
- Clean house: Remove toxic people from your life. Its best to start a new chapter with people who bring out the best in you and won’t set you back with toxic energy. This isn’t an easy task but extremely necessary for your well being.
- Make new friends: This doesn’t mean you ditch your current awesome friends. This means, expand your circle! Every new person we let into our lives teaches us something new.
- Write: Get a journal, write down your thoughts, let it all out, and if you really want to get spiritual about letting go then rip the page and burn it. There’s something cathartic about writing down your pain on paper and setting it on fire. (Just do this safely please!)
- Forgive: Still holding on to grudges? Hatred may feel exhilarating but really it drains your soul. Forgive those you still resent. Accept the apology you never received. This is the only way to move forward and not be affected by it anymore.
- Find your peace: We all have different ways of finding our peace. Some people love yoga, some people need to be around nature, some people meditate, and etc. Whatever you need to do to become centered and at peace, do that, and often.
- Be kind to yourself: So you made a few mistakes in the past? So what. We all make mistakes. Don’t be so hard on yourself and give yourself a break.
- Read books: Self help books can be very useful when you want to make changes in your life. Find one that empowers you and takes your mind off of everything else going on in the world.
- Practice Optimism: The more positive you are, the more positivity you will attract in your life. Being a negative Nancy will never help you achieve happiness.
- Do something nice for someone else: Sometimes doing things for others makes us happy. Try helping someone out today. I promise it will make you smile.
- Be open to possibilities: Be open minded and open armed and allow all the great things to enter your life. Being guarded may keep us safe but it also blocks out many of the good things that come along.
- Find your confidence: Book a fun photo shoot, set a gym goal, take a dance class. Whatever makes you feel more confident and radiant. Do that.
- Take a class or go back to school: Educating yourself is never ever a bad thing. Improving our talents could mean the possibility of landing our dream job.
- Eat Healthier: This is really important. Remember that health is wealth. I started seeing my body dramatically change by cutting out junk food, dairy, and other things that were effecting my skin and energy. Couldn’t be happier with the skin and energy I have now!
- Replace your bad habits with good ones: Quit smoking and join the gym, stop eating junk food and start eating healthier, stop texting that jerk and start dating new people. I am a firm believer that any bad habit can be replaced by a good one.
- Start a new positive routine: Ditch your old routine of work, eat, sleep, repeat for a more fun routine and change it up every now and then when it starts to get boring. There’s so much more to life than just work, you have to live your life too.
- Expand your mind through traveling: Traveling has a way of really inspiring and educating us about different places and people and sometimes it’s a great way to recharge our batteries. Go on, see the world!
- Enjoy the journey: Life is one big adventure. Don’t take it too seriously, breathe, and just have fun!