Happy New Year, COCO HAUS lovers!
My name is Jasmin Rodriguez, and I will be a contributing writer for Coco Haus this year and can’t wait to share some exciting stories with you. I have been in the fashion business for over 10 years wearing many hats and exploring all of my talents. I started my own blog, www.vintagevandalizm.com, in 2008 where I showcase my style and beauty tutorials and also talk about, you know, real life stuff. I have been published in magazines like Cosmopolitan, Glamour, Playboy, TimeOut, and more for my personal style and social media influence. I have also been a contributing writer for online publications such as Pinstripe Magazine and Fox News. Aside from being a writer, I have also worn the hats of a stylist, model, social media strategist, and creative director working with a plethora of brands and I am now excited to continue my journey with Coco Haus.
For my first story, I’d like to talk about commitment. Not the commitment you give to someone else but the commitments we should be giving ourselves.
Every time a new year begins we all create resolutions. All of a sudden we are fired up and ready to go and as the year progresses that raging fire becomes a flame and eventually goes out. A resolution is great and all but how many of us actually stick to them?
It takes commitment to ourselves to get things done, to change things that didn’t work for us in the past, and to remember to take with us all that we have learned to apply it in the future. It can be overwhelming. I mean, how can we remember it all? I say, make a list. I am a firm believer in writing things down and creating lists that keep us on track and help us remember our main goals. This new year I decided to change the word “resolution” to “commitment” because we as people are so committed to everyone else that we forget the most important person; ourselves.
Don’t have a list and don’t know where to start? Allow me to help you. I have come up with a great list of 15 things we, as women, should commit to ourselves this year and maybe even the next. These are promises we should all make to ourselves and when we are faced with adversity we should revisit them. Lets begin:
1. I promise to love myself a little more this year and embrace all the things that make me different. This means all those flaws you keep thinking exist to other people but are only in your head ;). Write “You’re gorgeous!” in lipstick on your bathroom mirror so you see it every morning, dress up whenever you want to, do a sexy photo-shoot. Whatever makes you feel beautiful and sexy!
2. I promise to eat healthier. Health is wealth and clean eating means a clear complexion and more energy. It’s a win/win if you ask me.
3. I promise to stay active. Strong is sexy. Go for a walk or a nice run every now and then. I know working out can be a drag but when you have a steady routine, it actually starts to feel great. All of a sudden those endorphins kick in and you start to feel good about yourself again. Try it.
4. I promise to honor myself with my relationships. This means knowing your worth and not settling for less. This applies to all kinds of relationships. By allowing people to abuse your kindness, take our love for granted, or add any other negativity to our lives we dishonor ourselves.
5. I promise to be kinder to myself about my mistakes. We are all a work-in-progress and none of us are perfect. Mistakes exist so we can learn from them. Without them we cannot grow.
6. I promise to live more than I work. This is a major promise we should all be committing to. Its one thing to survive and it’s another to truly live. Take time for yourself. Make time for adventures.
7. I promise to take more risks. Go for that new job, ask for that raise, sky dive, ask that guy out, go skinny-dipping if you want haha. Nothing good comes from comfort zones.
8. I promise to travel more. Traveling expands the mind and calms the soul from your normal life. Its a great way to meet new people and be enlightened by new things so you can come back home inspired and refreshed.
9. I promise to take more time out of my day to look presentable. Because when you look good, you feel good. Wear your tailored suit or your favorite dress. You don’t need an occasion you only live once! That’s the occasion!
10. I promise to have lots of sex. Yup. I said it. Have tons of sex. It does a body good. With your other half or with your self. Do it, it will ease any of the stress you may have going on. 😉
11. I promise to invest in myself. Want to take a class? Want to buy a camera to start a new hobby/career? Do it. Investing in yourself is investing in your future and who knows what great rewards it will bring in your future?
12. I promise to take a minute to breathe every time I am faced with a problem. Mental health is so important. Whatever calms you down and soothes your soul when you are upset is what you need to keep in mind at all times. Light a candle and take a bubble bath, meditate, read an inspiring book. It’s important that we know what helps us relax during rough times so we can get through the day.
13. I promise not to take shit from anyone. Because no one should ever think its ok to to disrespect you. Stand your ground and stick up for your self. Sometimes lines need to be drawn in the sand.
14. I promise to listen more. Because a lot of us do a lot of talking but not enough listening. By listening we learn to understand others better and become more compassionate.
15. I promise to be a better person for me and for the rest of the world. With all of the horrible things happening in the world, change starts with you. The way we become better people is by accepting those who are different from us. We don’t have to have the same beliefs but we can respect each other’s differences.
Now I understand these are a lot of promises to make for 2016 but I think they are pretty easy and totally necessary in having a meaningful life. There’s so much more to the world than working to pay your rent. There are experiences we could be having if we could just commit to living our lives to the fullest. Make a list and keep it where you can see it every day so you can absorb it. By making lists and speaking things into the universe, we manifest positive things into our lives. Now go on..Manifest!
Much love & success to you all in the New Year! Lets make it a wild one ;)!